When you access an email account through an email application such as Outlook Express, Thunderbird or Mac Mail, the email application will require specific information about your email account.
You will first need to choose whether to use IMAP or POP3 protocol to access your email.
To use the auto-configure facility you need to first login to your email settings:
- Go to the URL of: DOMAIN/webmail (e.g. worthers.com/webmail)
- Login with your email address and password
- Select the auto-configure option
This will attempt to automatically configure your email application. If you use Mac Mail, Microsoft Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook 2000, please keep reading. Unfortunately, Thunderbird and other such mail applications are currently not supported on auto-configure and will require you to use the manual settings. For further information and instructions for setting up your mail application, please see "Manual Settings".
- Select the relevant auto configure option based on your email application, whether you want POP3 or IMAP (see above for details) and make sure SSL is turned on (SSL is more secure as it encrypts the data as it is sent, especially if you send emails containing sensitive information)
- You will be prompted to close all running copies of the email application before clicking "OK" and continuing
- Open the download and your will be prompted with an "Open File" dialog box - select "Run".
- Open your email application and start accessing your emails.
Manual Settings: All of the settings you will need to configure any email application on your computer, whether Mac or PC, are under the heading "manual settings" and those settings are specific to your mail account.